Started a new one... a bit different than my most recent which have relied more on black & white patterns and size juxtapositions. This is a look back at the mid-century modern architecture... a step backwards? Or just more exploration?
A bit of a theme. Neither are finished yet.
I've started diagramming my paintings:
I have two more 'doubled' paintings in process. Neither are finished, and I have some interesting graphic ideas for them.
I think this one is pretty much finished. I have some more thoughts about it, but not sure they fit. I'm going to try to get a good photo of it this weekend. I've also been working on the one below – from a photo I took at the Tate Modern. the figures will be largely in silhouette.
Worked on this some more. Salomé dancing while Herod and Herodias watch with John the Baptist, head and body separate, to the side. When it dries, I'll paint Salomé's veils. They'll be long and read and obscure some of what you see here.
Finished Adoration of the Magi this weekend. This is a terrible photo, but you get the gist.
Also did a small piece - 12 x 12". Salome with the head of John the Baptist. I worked on the hair more after this photo.
A modern take on the wise men visiting Mary and baby Jesus. I'm going to put halos on Mary and Jesus and then it should be finished. We'll see.
I'll be showing at the Pancakes and Booze Art Show this year! Come by and have a pancake.
The little fly in the ointment is that they don't want pieces larger than 36".... which most of mine are. Wonder if I have time for a new one before February 24....
I've been feeling a bit on ennui recently. Maybe it's the show coming down, who knows. But I'm finally excited about a painting. He's holding a splinter of the Holy Cross in his prosthetic. The banner will say so. Perhaps in Latin. Possible title: Reliquary.
In the post-show, post-Trump letdown, I've been making this. The photo is pretty bad, the colors really off on the left, but you get the idea. This one is more restrained color-wise than usual, reflecting my dark mood.
Got sick last weekend and mostly worked on drawings for future paintings. But I did get this one drawn on the canvas. I hope to get a good start painting it this weekend.
I had been unhappy with the lower portion of this painting, so I finally sanded that part down and repainted - new underpants and a new third hand. And I added the cigarette smoke. I feel it's much more successful now.
Worked on two pieces this weekend - a new one with much smaller figures, which I don't really like painting. But I persevered and I think it's going OK. I still have the clown's face to finish. The other is a commission, a portrait of mother and daughter. I have the composition and underpainting done. Will work on it more after it dries.
This guy is the little one. The canvas is 20 x 28"-ish.